Starting from the spring of “Manganiari”, at 980 meters above sea level, from which the route to the shelter starts, through a well-marked four-kilometer trail, you will come across a rich flora and fauna that you will have the opportunity to photograph. This part is characterized by the ease of climbing up, as well as the imposing, enormous, high-level, perennial black pine trees that will accompany you. After 2 hours of exceptionally enjoyable hiking, you will find yourself outside the historical hut of the mountaineering club of Sparta.
From the shelter, at the location Varvara at 1,550 meters, from where the second part of the route to the top begins, the vegetation gradually decreases, while the slope increases in a rocky environment.
During the hiking, you will have the chance to see the entire Laconian plain and the neighboring mountain Parnon. The path features a variety of geological formations as well as the impressive natural pyramid that stands on the top of this legendary mountain and will watch your steps.Generally this path has no technical passages which makes the use of rope and helmets unnecessary and the ascent pleasant.
Leaving behind you the Laconian side of Taygetos and climbing the last steps of the enigmatic “pyramid” you will meet the unpolluted chapel of Prophet Elias, while in front of you will see the view of the Messinian Gulf, which with the ideal conditions of visibility can be seen unobstructed until the white mountains of Crete.
DepartureStatue of King Leonidas
Departure Time12:00 pm
Return Time19:00 next day
Dress CodeCasual, comfortable and light
- 12:00 Meeting at the statue of King Leonidas
- 12:15 Departure to the starting point of the hiking
- 13:00 Arrival at ‘Manganiari Springs’ at 980m
- 13:30 Start of hiking
- 15:30 Arrival at the shelter in the location ‘Varvara’ at 1,550m
- Coffee, juice and snack
- Organizing and arranging shelter and personal goods
- 20:00 Dinner
- 07:00 Waking up
- 07:30 Breakfast
- 08:30 Start of hiking
- 11:30 Arrival at the top of Taygetos at 2.407m
- 13:00 Start of hiking to the shelter
- 15:30 Arrival at the shelter at 1,550m
- 16:30 Starting a hiking trip to the "Manganiari Springs"
- 18:00 Arrival at the Springs at 980m
- 19:00 Arrival at Sparta Square
During the hiking, you will have the chance to see the entire Laconian plain and the neighboring mountain Parnon.
- Season: Spring, Summer, Autumn
- Route length: 16 km (total)
- Hiking: 8 hours (total)
- Elevation: 980m-1,550m-2,407m-1,550m-980m
- Degree of difficulty: 4/5
- Overnight stay: YES
- Escort Ratio: Climber – 1: 8